[dns-operations] Nay-saying technology was Re: uspto.gov

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue May 18 21:30:34 UTC 2010

On 5/18/2010 7:35 AM, Edward Lewis wrote:

> Every now and then the list gets outbursts of "we don't want to do
> DNSSEC" or "DNSSEC is too much work for too little gain" followed by
> messages claiming that "you are spreading FUD."  In an ideal world,
> we would not have this cycle (it's a cycle because it gets nowhere.)

Actually I agree, and most of the time I successfully resist the urge to
point out the FUD (or the trolling, etc.). However as time goes on my
tolerance for the degradation of the SNR goes down, and I feel that the
traditional strategy of just ignoring them and hoping that they will go
away has unpleasant side effects that outweigh the value of avoiding
another cycle.*

So, I promise to not point out the FUD/trolling every time I see it,
because I agree with Ed that it doesn't get anywhere (which is not the
same thing as agreeing that occasionally pointing it out has no value).
Of course it would be nice if the FUDers would agree to not gratuitously
take every opportunity to do their thing too, but I'm not holding my
breath.

Doug

* ... which, btw, is why in 16 years plus I've never created a kill
file. There are (at least) 2 types of crazy, the first kind that is
easily ignored and can be dealt with by the D key; and the kind that
grows exponentially crazier (and correspondingly more dangerous) as it
feels it is being ignored. The former is generally obvious to everyone,
and even those "new to the room" can generally sort it out for
themselves in short order. The latter kind however has very damaging
effects that should be handled directly. Otherwise newcomers immediately
wonder, "What the heck have I wandered into here?" and beat a hasty
retreat. Not to mention the distraction from real work that often
accompanies the collateral damage of the latter kind ...

			-- Propellerheads