[dns-operations] plenus no more

Cassell, James D CIV DISA NS14 jcassell at nic.mil
Wed May 5 23:55:53 UTC 2010

All,

The query rate to our G-root instance in Germany has risen steadily, to the
point that it now requires an upgrade (which we are actively pursuing).
Under "normal" circumstances, the performance of this instance is
acceptable; however, when we enabled dnscap, and began transmitting files to
OARC in support the latest DURZ cutover, we pushed the server into an
unacceptable performance range.

The temporary, immediate fix action was to turn off packet capturing on this
instance of G-root, which we did at approximately 2315 UTC (the other 5
G-root locations are still capturing packets and transmitting them to OARC).
The permanent fix is, of course, to complete the planned upgrade as soon as
possible.  Although we do not yet have an anticipated completion date, we
are making every effort to expedite this action.

Sorry for adding any confusion to the monitoring of the DURZ rollout.
Thanks for you patience, and please let me know if anyone has any questions
regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Jim Cassell
DoD NIC/SSC
Columbus, Ohio
(614)692-9549

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Geoffrey Sisson" <geoff at geoff.co.uk>
> Date: 5 May 2010 21:38:13 GMT+02:00
> To: dns-operations at lists.dns-oarc.net
> Subject: Re: [dns-operations] plenus no more
> list-id: DNS Operations <dns-operations.lists.dns-oarc.net>
>
> bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl (bert hubert) wrote:

instead of no-error. Completely irrelevant, just an historic artifact.