[dns-operations] How much trouble am in in on May 5?

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 5 14:36:51 UTC 2010

On May 5 2010, Joe Abley wrote:

>On 2010-05-05, at 15:18, George Barwood wrote:
>
>> dig @j.root-servers.net . ANY
>>
>> does not require DNSSEC thoughts. I wouldn't anticipate problems with
>> this though, although there are potential issues with qmail when signing
>> mail domains later on.
>
>Do you know of a resolver that issues such a query as part of a recursive
>lookup that a real Internet user might trigger?

qmail is hardly likely to issue (and get confused by the results of) an
(IN,ANY,'.') query, as it isn't syntactically possible to use the root
as a mail domain.

For other domains (even TLDs) - sure. qmail users need to get their
systems fixed, see e.g. http://lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#dns-patches

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,