[dns-operations] Delegation health was Re: Worst current practice example

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Tue May 4 14:10:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 11:08:19PM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> is the desired result.  I suspect most registants would be more
> than happy to have someone catch and report their errors to them
> as they are not always easily visible unless you are a external
> party.

But as has been pointed out repeatedly whenever this topic comes up,
many registries are not allowed to contact registrants directly.
Registrars could do this for their registrants if they wanted (and in
fact some do).  If registries do this and detect a problem, they don't
even know that they have anything useful to do, because the registrar
might not be the DNS operator (cf. other discussions about
"ripple-free transfer" and DNSSEC).

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.