[dns-operations] How much trouble am in in on May 5?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue May 4 02:00:41 UTC 2010

On 05/03/10 18:53, Calvin Richards wrote:
> About 4pm today I was told the guy who is supposed to setup DNSSEC
> before he left the company did not do it before he left.

That is almost certainly a feature. :)

> So I've been
> tasked with making sure the internet does not break on Wednesday.

It won't.

> Other
> than of knowing that May 5th is coming I've not really dug deep into
> this until this afternoon since this was supposed to be taken care of by
> someone else.
>
> I am not worried that much about our caching servers being able to do
> lookups.

Good, because that's all that is relevant about 5/5. What's going to
happen is that the last root server that is not currently serving a
signed root zone will start serving the signed version. If things are
working now they will almost certainly still be working on 5/5.

> I am worried about is the servers that are acting as
> authorative name servers for about 40 domains we have.

The change will not affect them.

> I've been missing out on the Google lottery when I search for what
> happens if you are not signing zones on May 5th.

Nothing at all will happen differently for your auth zones.

hth,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads