[dns-operations] How much trouble am in in on May 5?

Calvin Richards cal73142 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 01:53:25 UTC 2010

About
4pm today I was told the guy who is supposed to setup DNSSEC before he left the
company did not do it before he left.   So I've been tasked with making
sure the internet does not break on Wednesday.  Other than of knowing that May 5th is coming I've not really dug deep into this until this afternoon since this was supposed to be taken care of by someone else.

I am not worried that much about our caching servers being able to do
lookups.  I am worried about is the servers that are acting as authorative
name servers for about 40 domains we have.   They are running Windows
2003 and from what I am reading Windows 2003 is capable of looking up dnssec
zones but not capable of signing the zones.  We use two 2003 servers to serve zones we hast and two 2003 servers for users to surf on.

I've been missing out on the
Google lottery when I search for what happens if you are not signing zones on May
5th.  I would rather do this right and not rush into something without spending a few days testing and reading if I don't have to.

Cal