[dns-operations] DNS rewriting in China (facebook, youtube & twitter)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Mar 31 10:19:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 08:27:51AM +0200,
 Lindqvist Kurt Erik <kurtis at kurtis.pp.se> wrote
 a message of 151 lines which said:

> Netnod/Autonomica is 100% committed to serving the root zone DNS
> data as published by the IANA. We have made a clear and public
> declaration of this, and we guarantee that the responses sent out by
> any i.root-servers.net instance consist of the appropriate data in
> the IANA root zone.

I've changed the subject of the thread because it is clear that the
problem is *not* specific to I-root (only the leakage was). But every
DNS server in China may see its responses rewritten. Here, from China
Unicom, in the Liaoning :

; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P3 <<>> @F.root-servers.net A www.facebook.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
correcyly.)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.facebook.com.              IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.facebook.com.       86400   IN      A       37.61.54.158

;; Query time: 73 msec
;; SERVER: 192.5.5.241#53(192.5.5.241)
;; WHEN: Tue Mar 30 12:17:05 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 66

(Do note that J.root-servers.net's replies are not rewritten.)