[dns-operations] Odd behaviour on one node in I root-server (facebook, youtube & twitter)

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Mar 25 21:35:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 03:14:53PM -0700, Joe Abley wrote:
> > There's no such record in the zone that L-Root retrieves from VeriSign.
>
> It seems that the record exists in the unsigned root zone, but not in the DURZ.
>
> [octopus:~]% for n in a b c d e f g h i j k l m; do
> > echo ${n}
> > dig @${n}.root-servers.net. VRSN-END-OF-ZONE-MARKER-DUMMY-RECORD.root. txt +short
> "plenus"

Btw, for everyone who like me has been wondering for years what a 'plenus'
is, and why it would appear at the end of the root zone, I am informed it is
Latin for 'full, filled, plump' or 'satisfied' ;-)

In other news, because of recent 'modified root-server traffic'
developments, the PowerDNS Recursor (which is an almost pure resolver, with
limited authoritative features) can now host the root-zone, 'plenus' and
all. (it actually barfed on the plenus, because it was expecting "plenus",
with quotes).

	Bert