[dns-operations] Odd behaviour on one node in I root-server (facebook, youtube & twitter)

Hauke Lampe lampe at hauke-lampe.de
Wed Mar 24 21:30:42 UTC 2010

Roy Arends wrote:

[chinese DNS-hijacking]
> I've seen it before.

AFAIR, China has been doing this for years, with variying degree of
impact on networks outside China:
https://lists.dns-oarc.net/pipermail/dns-operations/2009-June/003950.html

It's extremely annoying that they also match substrings, probably to
block proxy services. Try: dig footwitter.combar @123.123.123.123

Sadly, China is not a useful location for DNS services that are to be
queried from anywhere (IMO, YMMV, I gave up). I cannot anticipate which
substrings of hostnames are going to be blocked next and the problems it
causes are often unexpected and difficult to debug.

Hauke.