[dns-operations] Odd behaviour on one node in I root-server (facebook, youtube & twitter)

Mauricio Vergara Ereche mave at nic.cl
Wed Mar 24 18:22:40 UTC 2010

Hi there!

A local ISP has told us that there's some strange behavior with at least one
node in i.root-servers.net (traceroute shows mostly China)
It seems that when you ask A records for facebook, youtube or twitter, you get
an IP and not the referral for .com

It doesn't happen every time, but we have confirmed this on 4 different
connectivity places (3 in Chile, one in California)

This problem has been reported to Autonomica/Netnod but I don't know if anyone
else is seeing this issue.

This is an example of what are wee seeing:

$ dig @i.root-servers.net www.facebook.com A

; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P3 <<>> @i.root-servers.net www.facebook.com A
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.facebook.com.              IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.facebook.com.       86400   IN      A       8.7.198.45

;; Query time: 444 msec
;; SERVER: 192.36.148.17#53(192.36.148.17)
;; WHEN: Wed Mar 24 14:21:54 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 66

--
Mauricio Vergara Ereche                 User #188365 counter.li.org
DNS Admin NIC Chile                             mave [@] nic [.] cl