[dns-operations] k2.nap.k.ripe.net instance of K root server dropping IPv6 TCP connections?

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 24 17:23:39 UTC 2010

We are seeing

$ dig -6 +vc hostname.bind txt ch   @k.root-servers.net
;; communications error to 2001:7fd::1#53: connection reset

$ dig -6 +noall +answer hostname.bind txt ch   @k.root-servers.net
hostname.bind.          0       CH      TXT     "k1.nap.k.ripe.net"

Is anyone else seeing the same? Via IPv4 we get to instance
k2.ams-ix.k.ripe.net, which does TCP ok.

I noticed this only because of the DURZ deployment on k.root-servers.net
this afternoon (DNSKEY responses for "." are over 512 bytes at the moment)
so it may have been happening before. I suspect not for long, though, or
I would have seen it while tracking the signed "arpa" deployment...

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,