[dns-operations] requirements for TLD servers

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Mon Mar 22 19:00:40 UTC 2010

On 23/03/2010, at 4:08 AM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

> 	I know of at least two attempts to revamp RFC 2780,
> 	but they didn't get very far.  It would be a shame to
> 	see folks like ICANN successfuly pummel the ops folks
> 	with a practically defunct spec.  How much interest
> 	is there in getting a revised RFC 2780 or a series of
> 	replacement RFCs out the door?

I've thought about this a lot over the last few years and the random comments of the ICANN CEO highlight the need for this more than ever so that we have an independent standard we can be assessed against.

However, there are some differences of opinion on this that are so fundamental we may never be able to resolve them.  One good example is "for TLD x should all the nameservers be in-bailiwick or not."  I know some TLDs that answer:

"yes absolutely, if we foul up the zone such that the in-bailiwick nameservers can no longer be resolved then the whole zone is dead and so are we"

and others who say:

" no absolutely not, we must have some out of bailiwick in case we foul up the in-bailiwick ones but some other parts of the zone still work and can be served from the those nameservers".

So the format of the final document may require a number of options or choices to be documented as resolving these differences will be impossible.

Jay