[dns-operations] contacting the root ops

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Mar 17 20:27:58 UTC 2010

>>  > dig soa x.root.servers.net
>>
>>  Hmmm, I get an NXDOMAIN answer to that.
>
>.org not .net

and root-servers not root.servers.

Ok, that's just nit picking.

But I just realized today that to find a potential email contact for
a root operator you have to consult an unofficial source
(root-servers.org is not root-servers.net and I only make that
distinction because it was once brought up in a debate between two
root operators) and then find an obscure piece of information buried
in an SOA record.

And there's no guarantee that the info there is a working email
address, we haven't confirmed it.

For all the transparency we talk about (being fuzzy on "we"), it
would seem that there'd be an obvious way to contact root operators.
Then again, if there's a problem with the root, maybe email won't
flow. ;)

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

As with IPv6, the problem with the deployment of frictionless surfaces is
that they're not getting traction.