[dns-operations] A DNS and network security forced marriage

Matthew Dempsky matthew at dempsky.org
Fri Mar 12 19:49:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at shinkuro.com> wrote:
> If it were true that ISPs easily accommodate users who want to opt
> out, then I'd be delighted.  But in fact what happens is that you have
> to do extra work on the client side every time you reconnect to the
> network, because the DHCP servers handed out with your IP address are
> the ISP's DNS-mangling ones.

It's the client that decides to actually use the DNS IP addresses
included in the DHCP lease.  DHCP clients I've used are able to be
configured to retrieve an IP lease via DHCP while still using a
statically configured DNS server.  This doesn't require extra work
"every time you reconnect"; just once when you set it up.