[dns-operations] Upcoming DNS behavior changes to .com/.net/.edu name servers

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Mar 4 17:07:52 UTC 2010

I want to check on the real time status of a domain in the DNS.

dig +short returns nothing when using @I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET after the DNS
behavior changes.

Or.. a bit misleading..
> host -t NS example.com I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
> Using domain server:
> Name: I.GTLD-SERVERS.NET
> Address: 192.43.172.30#53
> Aliases:
>
> example.com has no NS record

Simply using dig without +short seems to work.

Is there another recommended way to query the roots for a NS record,
bypassing local DNS?

Thanks,
Ken Anderson
Pacific.Net

On 3/3/2010 9:30 AM, David Blacka wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Chris Thompson wrote:
>
>> Matt,
>>
>> I see that
>>
>> https://www.verisign.com/domain-name-services/domain-information-center/dns-behavior/
>>
>> has links to the same domain lists (139 in cycles; 2690 hanging off the cycles)
>> that you published here on dns-oarc in January. Quite a lot (certainly not all!)
>> have been fixed in the interim. Are VeriSign planning to make updated versions
>> of these lists available?
>
> Yes, soon.  The numbers have indeed gone down -- the number of domains hanging off the cycles have gone down by more than half, although the number of domains in cycles hasn't seen as dramatic a drop.
>
> --
> David Blacka<davidb at verisign.com>
> Sr. Engineer          VeriSign Platform Product Development

Ken Anderson
Pacific Internet - http://www.pacific.net