[dns-operations] nhc.noaa.gov expired signatures

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Jun 25 12:09:49 UTC 2010

At 1:45 +0000 6/25/10, <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com> wrote:

>	call NOAA and ask for the helpdesk?

One of the people who is still quite active in the IETF was present
the day I started a new job a few decades ago.  Here's a relevant
conversation:

Me (staring at an empty desk): How do I get a phone?
Him:  Send an email to IT.
Me: How do I get a computer?
Him: Call IT.
About 5 seconds of silence
Me: How do I get a phone?
Him: Send an em...oh, never mind.

As far as NOAA - I looked for a while for information about
contacting the admins over this.  I could not find any information
that was useful in contacting the admins about this.  The dotgov.gov.
page only has howto's and FAQ's geared toward (US) government
agencies and other registrants in GOV, helping them set up DNSSEC.
There wasn't any way to drop a message, a number to call, etc.

This is not a one-time event in my experience with the US Gov't.  The
Gov't sites seem to be built without recognition that there's a big
world out there and sometimes it can be useful.  I say this having
once spent 10 years on the inside and then transitioning out.

If there's a message I'd yell into any secured environment - when you
are putting up your security barriers, make sure you can still hear
from the outside.  Poor Scott shouldn't have to be the DNSSEC
Ambassador...