[dns-operations] format of IPv6 addresses in the root hints file [Re: AAAA being added for i.root-servers.net]

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Sun Jun 20 22:23:07 UTC 2010

Doug,

> While I'm sure that this information will be useful to some, I hope
> _you_ understand that _I_ understand this. :)

apologies if I made it look like anything else ;-) and also for
not appreciating your brevity.

> What probably IS operationally relevant is that the all-caps versions of
> the AAAA records violate the RFC-to-be
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-text-addr-representation/
> which is currently in the RFC Editor's queue.

Thanks for the heads-up.  This is one of the more, well, "interesting"
documents that have come out of the IETF recently.  I regretfully admit
having missed the bus - and more importantly, the last call - on the
draft.  In terms of "violating" I'm not sure how relevant this is, since
the document itself says that all the MUSTs SHOULD be followed.
More importantly, the IPv6 addresses represented in the root zone/hints
file are an input for machine consumption, so there's probably
less imperative to change their textual representation.

-Peter