[dns-operations] AAAA being added for i.root-servers.net

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Thu Jun 17 20:29:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:46:21PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

> Kim and/or Matt, I assume there will be a new root hints file available
> soon?

while this would be a canonical change, it should be noted that the
"hints" information is supposed to be used for resolver priming only,
not to direct queries immediately.  The I IPv6 address will therefore
see traffic before the official hints file is changed.

It would be interesting to see some data on "priming queries" directed
towards I, though.

-Peter

PS: dig +bufsiz=1024 +norec @`perl -e 'print chr(64+int(rand(13)));'`.root-servers.net. . ns > root.hints
PPS: I'm glad the AAAA RR was added to the root-servers.net zone, too ;-)
P^3S: and yes, good move - thanks!