[dns-operations] Norton DNS: Symantec emulates OpenDNS and Google

Jay Daley jay at nzrs.net.nz
Tue Jun 8 01:00:45 UTC 2010

On 8/06/2010, at 1:37 AM, Phil Regnauld wrote:

> 	Absolutely, but the others have advanced speed and reliability as
> 	one of the assets.  I find it ironic that Symantec is touting this
> 	service as a security advantage, when it clearly isn't one.

I agree, especially as it could even be a security downgrade if you switch to this service from a resolver that supports DNSSEC.

Another point that needs challenging is the "once DNSSEC becomes widely-used" part of the sentence "There are also plans to make the service DNSSEC-capable once DNSSEC becomes widely used".  Caching DNS providers should not be deciding on when to allow DNSSEC to pass through - they should be passing it through right now, because if they don't then the benefits are not realisable and it won't become widely used.

And then of course there is the interesting question of how they intend to implement synthesis once DNSSEC is turned on?

cheers
Jay