[dns-operations] Wacky idea of the week

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Mon Jul 26 06:37:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:05:11AM +1200, Jay Daley wrote:

> I also occasionally have to think about updating the list under publicsuffix.org, which I would prefer not to do and instead to publish a policy under .nz so everyone knows where our registrations and second levels are.

there is a draft out describing this list and idea, and the main issues with
this are
 a) it is trying to make statements at one node in the tree about nodes further
    down.  There is no inheritance in the DNS. Sooner or later it involves
    tree climbing, which is an undesired feature, see RFC 5507.
 b) it can always only be an incomplete list because it tries to enumerate
    those domains for which there is no common policy to be assumed - which
    is a basic feature of the whole DNS tree. Again, see RFC 5507, section 4.

> Anyone else think this is worthwhile or will there be a clamour of "you can't use DNS for that!'?

The problem IMHO is less how to put this information into the DNS (TXT, SRV, NAPTR,
URI, new RR type), but where exactly to put it.

-Peter