[dns-operations] fun with .gov

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Mon Jan 25 22:08:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 08:23:32AM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Jacco Tunnissen:
>
> > My idea is that taking .gov whois offline was ordered by DHS to hide
> > sensitive information from prying eyes.
>
> It's been like this for a while.  There used to be web-based WHOIS,
> but I had the impression that it was intended to require
> authentication, and it provided data to the general public because of
> a state management bug only (you had to visit pages in a certain order
> to get the data, IIRC).

Last I looked, there was still a Web-based WHOIS at dotgov.gov.  You
have to register and log in to use it.  I did register, so never
bothered to look for a back way in, but am amused by the idea.  I know
there were other ... I call them bugs, but they may have been deliberate
policy blocks on info.

--
**