[dns-operations] I missed the announcement: .ARPA has been deleted

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Tue Feb 16 23:11:38 UTC 2010

> From: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de>
> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:34:43 +0100
>
> Increasingly, you also want to know when you send an A query if an AAAA
> RRset exists (or vice versa).  So let's add a query flag which means
> "send me some interesting signed NSECs of your choice if the answer is
> not a delegation", and we've enough data to solve both issues.  We've
> also added something of value to DNSSEC. 8-)

:-).

we missed the boat terribly in RFC 1886.  we should have made "A" part of
the additional data for qtype "AAAA", or added a new meta-qtype, "ADDR",
which would return all internet address types in the answer section.  the
DNSIND meeting where this RFC was evaluated was among my first, and i had
not yet found my voice within IETF, and so i kept mostly mum, big mistake.