[dns-operations] ANY request

Fabien CHABANNE chabanne at nic.fr
Fri Feb 5 10:18:29 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,
I'm new in the dns community and have a question to ask. If someone
could help me it would be nice.

I tested the ANY request on some nameservers of google
(ns1.google.com., ns2.google.com., ...) and I see that they do not
always reply by a full response and they do not set the Truncated bit.
For exemple they do not always return the SOA record and all of the NS
records but a part of it. So I was wondering if this way of answering
to an ANY query was correct and how can we have the entire response ?

Regards

Fabien CHABANNE
AFNIC
Zonecheck maintainer