[dns-operations] L-Root Maintenance 2010-01-27 1800 UTC - 2000 UTC

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Tue Feb 2 21:45:12 UTC 2010

> Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:30:26 +0000
> From: Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at>
>
> > > syn+query
> > >             syn+ack+response
> >
> > Support for that has been discontinued some time before the year 2002.
>
> For a longer version of Florian's comment, see
> http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/tcp-impl/list/archive/1292.html

see also:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/2009-12/openpdfs/metzger.pdf

which may yet be optimized to allow a cache of previous cookies so that
subsequent tcp sessions can begin with multisegment payloads in both
directions, but which already right now permits a DNS query (or HTTP query
i suppose) to be sent with the initial SYN as long as it fits in a single
packet.  RTT's, as it turns out, are bad for all kinds of reasons.

(there's a semi-private mailing list where this proposal is being
discussed, and a BSD kernel implementor is needed, william has running
code for linux but we want to do some multi-implementor interop testing.
if you're seriously interested in pursuing this approach, send me e-mail
and i'll add you to the mailing list where this is getting discussed.)