[dns-operations] Please contribute data to OARC!

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue Feb 2 16:33:03 UTC 2010

* Phil Regnauld:

> 	The possibility that non-availability of an anycast server
> 	"somewhere" could trigger such a backlash of repeated queries,
> 	and take down a recursive instance is disturbing, and not
> 	something I've heard of before.

Anycast doesn't matter, I guess.  But it's been observed multiple
times that outages of authoritative servers tend to cause query storms
if the zone contains a popular name, or client software is broken.

Two incidents come to my mind, the lockup.zonelabs.com issue and the
.ORG outage.  From time to time, I also see this live, on the wire
(close to the resolver, so the packet rate is comparatively low, but I
suspect that other sites are flooding the authoritative servers in
these cases, too).

Resolver outages to query floods and accompanying resource consumption
have only been reported privately so far, I think.