[dns-operations] online version checks (was: re: New subscribers)

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens+dnsops at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 19:31:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Paul Vixie <vixie at isc.org> wrote:

>                       as bert pointed out, the logical way to do this is with
> a dns query, like version.bind.software.isc.org or similar.  most likely
> the resulting text record would have some machine readable parts (like the
> number) and some human readable parts (for logging).  but this is really
> getting far afield from dns operations and is not likely to be a multi
> vendor standard

Which is a shame, seeing it's probably rather trivial to define a
format (version
date, description) for it and to implement the check itself. It ought to be a
multi-vendor standard.

-- so, if lots of dns implementors all have this, and every
> one of them does it differently and incompatibly, nobody will care.  that
> means i should stop doing feature research here and move it to bind-users at .
>
>> >would one version check per day be too often?

No, and I'd even make that every 12 (configurable?) hours.

    -JP