[dns-operations] online version checks (was: re: New subscribers)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Dec 29 17:09:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 04:44:40PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> since i'm talking about a once-a-day syslog and not refuse-to-startup or
> automatic-download, i must be missing the importance of your distinction.

No, I missed the understated nature of the feature.  Just logging it
(especially once a day) doesn't give me any worries, no (although
someone is bound to complain.  But we probably are well into
bind-specific discussion at that point).

> alas, not every distro of every OS follows debian's most excellent example.

No, I alas agree with you there.  For instance, if I had to rely on
Apple to keep this laptop up to date with some things I know to be
important, I'd be sorely disappointed.

> still, you point out an interesting opportunity to make this phone home
> stuff pluggable so that it can integrate with other package management
> and early warning systems that may be running in the same environment.

That'd be sweet.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com