[dns-operations] New subscribers

Robert Edmonds edmonds at isc.org
Wed Dec 29 04:37:05 UTC 2010

Noel Butler wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 00:31 +0100, Eivind Olsen wrote:
>
> > > I still like to compile BIND to ensure the options I need are enabled, so
> > > +1 :-)
> >
> > It's possible to combine self compilation with packages though, which is
> > what I've come to prefer. Using RPM doesn't exclude compilation :D
>
> That's a rarity, most people are too scared to use anything other than
> their distros released packages, perhaps its laziness, perhaps
> they don't know any better, or perhaps they are just plain ignorant, I
> think it sadly says a lot bout the calibre of many system admins these
> days.

needing a newer upstream version than is available packaged is about the
only common reason i can think of to compile from source.

i hope all the sysadmins exercising their C compiler are using a decent
source installation management system like GNU stow:

http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds at isc.org