[dns-operations] New subscribers

Griffiths, Chris Chris_Griffiths at Cable.Comcast.com
Tue Dec 28 22:27:26 UTC 2010

On 12/28/10 10:42 AM, "Paul Vixie" <vixie at isc.org> wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 07:55:07 -0600
>> From: Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net>
>> ... That sent me down the path of learning how to monitor services and
>> get notified of outages(now using Nagios for this).
>>
>> It also taught me to install from source and always use the latest
>> production code to prevent these as best I can. Now on the path to
>> learn DNSSEC and IPv6 (I have native IPv6 here from my upstream
>> provider)
>
>if that bind8 bug taught you all that, then some good came of it after
>all.  your policies as expressed above are best practices as far as i'm
>concerned... BIND really ought to have a startup version check option so
>that people running out of date or vulnerable versions will get
>notifications from their own installed software about it.
>
>note, you and i are in the minority as far as installing from source,
>most folks either depend on their OS versions for updates, or they
>install from some kind of binary package manager (rpm or the local
>equivilent.)

I like the idea of adding a startup version check to show the latest
version
of the software and if there is a need to upgrade.  I think this would be
positive addition to BIND.

I still like to compile BIND to ensure the options I need are enabled, so
+1 :-)

--
Chris Griffiths
Comcast Cable Communications, Inc.