[dns-operations] IPv6 PTR records

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Tue Dec 21 21:14:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:16:25 -0500
Wayne MacLaurin <wayne at dns-oarc.net> wrote:

> I seem to recall a heated debate at the RIPE meeting in Rome back in
> November.     It would seem that most people wish PTR was never

I wasn't there, but I suspect this perhaps was part of that discussion:

  <http://ripe61.ripe.net/presentations/139-Ripe-61-rDNS-kzorba-freedman.pdf>

It looks like a useful starting point for discussion.  For what I've
needed I've generally been doing PTR RRs (on server-oriented subnets
primarily), but I can imagine the problem is much more complicated in
other environments.

Architecturally-speaking, this might highlight some of the classic
theoretical arguments for names being assigned to service/application
and addresses to a node/host, as opposed to assigning a name to an
address and an address to an interface attachment.

John