[dns-operations] New subscribers

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Dec 17 09:24:00 UTC 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 9:14 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> Perhaps starting with the ED of one of the few orgs dedicated to DNS? :-)

Olaf Kolkman, director of NLnet Labs, a not-for-profit tax-exempt community funded foundation[1] chartered to develop open-source and open-standards for the Internet, mainly around DNS, but also some R&D on routing.

NLnet Labs has a few folk lurking here.

Those were the neutral facts, now exploiting the opportunity for marketing ;-)

We are most known for our open-source DNS software suite that intends to provide an alternative DNSSEC reference implementations thereby improving the resilience of the DNS (so that not all your servers instances have the same bug) we are also active in DNSSEC engineering and standards activities.

The software we've build and support are:
- nsd, an authoritative high performance nameserver, originally developed in cooperation with the RIPE NCC to run on k.root-servers.net now in use at several root, TLD and enterprise servers. [2]
- Unbound, a recursive nameserver developed to support DNSSEC from ground up using concepts from an initial Java reference implementation developed and developed in collaboration with Nominet, Kirei, EPnet and Verisign. [3]
- ldns, a DNS(SEC) library for rapid code development [4] inspired on the perl Net::DNS and Net::DNS::SEC [5] libraries

We also are partners in the OpenDNSSEC project[6] where we are mostly working on the modules that contain the DNS components.

--Olaf

[1] See http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/ for more information and http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/labs/contributors/ in particular.
[2] http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/projects/nsd/
[3] http://www.unbound.net/