[dns-operations] Behavior of browsers with absolute HTML links (Was: compressing DNS traffic data

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Dec 10 14:01:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 09:17:03AM -0600,
 Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote
 a message of 57 lines which said:

> Back in the infancy of the Web, relative links were king, and some
> web pages only generated one DNS lookup to enable the page to load,
> and many other pages only had at most a handful.
>
> By today's count, and I did just count, pulling up www.ebay.com
> results in *204* lookups, www.cnn.com results in 92 lookups,
> Facebook 24, etc.  That's actual requests happening on the wire per
> tcpdump.  (I'm actually a bit shocked.)

What is the behaviour of a Web browser when there are several
*asbolute* links with the same "prefix"? I would have assume that two
links <http://www.example.org/foo.html> and
<http://www.example.org/bar.html> create only one DNS request?