[dns-operations] compressing DNS traffic data

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Dec 10 13:23:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 01:55:41PM +0000,
 Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> However those costs are largely fixed. Broadly speaking it costs as
> much to look after 1TB of data as it does to look after 0.1TB of
> data.

No. The costs are *not* fixed. They increase by steps. You have a
storage array, you add one disk, then another, then another and then
the bay is full and you have to buy/install/manage/debug another
one. If you think it is free, I hire you to do storage management here
:-)

> The price of storage has been going in one direction for decades. So
> has disk capacity.

So is the DNS traffic, in the other direction.