[dns-operations] Questions about DNS resolver servers best practices

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Dec 8 17:14:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:29:41 -0600
Stephen L Johnson <stephen.johnson at arkansas.gov> wrote:

> Even as long as I've been doing DNS, at times I still feel like a DNS
> newbie.

You're not alone.  It wasn't until I went to work for Rodney at Ultra a
few years ago until I realized how much I didn't know.  Then I began to
discover how much about DNS, both in terms of operational behavior and
protocol nuances weren't always documented or easily known until I
spent more time exploring and hanging out with the DNS cognoscenti.

> Now my question is should what best practices should I consider in my
> infrastructure design?

There are at least a few areas of concern that you should consider.  At
the risk of come off a bit vain, beginning on slide 27 I've recently
been trying to highlight a few of them, which you might find useful to
review:

  <http://www.menog.net/sites/default/files/menog7-dnsops.pdf>

In some cases there are BCPs, but in many other cases it all depends on
your situation.  Asking the questions and reasoning about the answers is
a good approach to get to something decent.  I'd be interested in
co-authoring an IETF BCP on those sorts of things if I could get some
help.

John