[dns-operations] compressing DNS traffic data

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Dec 8 15:11:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 10:36:17 +0000
Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

> Why not just agree to store everything in wire format (maybe with
> added timestamps if sub-millisecond precision is available) and be
> done with it?

Hi Jim,

I don't necessarily disagree, but it is a matter of perspective.  The
situation is similar elsewhere.  People design "backup" systems usually
in terms of being able to back up all the data quickly.  However, if
you look at it as a restore problem, your whole perspective, and likely
the solution changes. Likewise in this case, it's not necessarily just
a storage problem.  It may also be an access and retrieval problem.
Data is cheap, insight is valuable.

John