[dns-operations] .edu domain algorithm recommendation

Sue True bloomingtonian at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:40:21 UTC 2010

One of our top level .edu already signed with 7 and have DS loaded to
educause, based on the suggestions from the list, I'll go with 8 for the
rest zones. And for easy maintenance, I want to change the zone that
currently using 7 to 8, here are the steps:

1. generate 3 new keys using 8, so the zone will load six keys:
    ksk-7 zsk-act-7 zsk-pre-7 ksk-8 zsk-act-8 zsk-pre-8

2. sign the zone with two ksk and two active zsk:
    dnssec-signzone -g -a -H 10 -3 ffee -k ksk-7 -k ksk-8 my.edu zsk-act-7 zsk-act-8

3. load DS-8 to educause

4. TTL is 3600, will wait two days and delete DS-7 from educause

5. wait(how long?) to delete ksk-7 zsk-act-7 zsk-pre-7 from zone

6. sign with ksk-8 and zsk-act-8 only

Will the above work?

On the other hand, is there a way to make the zone unseure and start over
from plain text zone file without messing with two types of Algo? How to
from educause, wait TTL of DS, load plain zone instead of singed zone, but
afraid it will cause SERVFAIL.

Thanks!
Sue