[dns-operations] Blackhole IANA question

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Thu Aug 5 14:15:13 UTC 2010

* Alberto García Moyano:

> Thank you very much for your help. Traceroute from my DNS server is blocked:
>
> traceroute blackhole-1.iana.org
> traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 213.4.132.1 @ qfe0
> traceroute to blackhole-1.iana.org (192.175.48.6), 30 hops max, 40 byte
> packets
>  1  * * *
>  2  * * *
>  3  * * *

This looks very much like a filter on the server.  Try "traceroute -I
blackhole-1.iana.org" or "tcptraceroute blackhole-1.iana.org 53",
depending on what's available on it.

It seems that your AS prefers to reach an instance in Hungary.  We
really need "show ip bgp" output to figure out who'se announcing the
prefix.  You should be able to work around the breakage by applying a
route map that suppresses the prefix, which would cause your queries
to be sent to another instance.  Or you could host an AS112 instance
yourself.

Presumably, other operators in Eastern Europe experience similar
issues.  (I can only reach the RIPE's instance at AMSIX, and one at
Qwest.)

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99