[dns-operations] PowerDNS & Most Other non-BIND Software Not Impacted by May 5th Root Servers Event

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Apr 30 19:29:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 08:14:27PM +0200, bert hubert wrote:
> On May 5th of 2010, the last so called "root servers" will gain DNSSEC
> support.  Due to some confusion and slightly unclear communication from the
> root operators, fears have been raised that this rollout might impact
> PowerDNS installations, since they currently lack DNSSEC support.

It has been pointed out that the paragraph above is unfair, and I agree. The
statement on the PowerDNS website has been altered.

The "root servers" are not "so called", they actually are.

In addition, the root operators did not communicate badly - the origin of
the confusion probably lies in the hidden assumption the whole world is
running servers that send out 'do=1' queries.

This has led to the belief that anyone unable to resolve large records
(without falling back to TCP) is headed for problems.  This in turn has led
to a flood of worried email that the sky is falling.

I want to apologise for implying that the root operators have done anything
incorrectly.

Kind regards,

Bert Hubert
PowerDNS