[dns-operations] DNSKEY signatures

George Barwood george.barwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 20:28:27 UTC 2010

Edward,

Thanks for the link.

I have just noted the existence of  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3757

where it states

   When signing a zone, it is intended that the key(s) with the SEP bit
   set (if such keys exist) are used to sign the KEY RR set of the zone.
which seems fairly conclusive. However, I can imagine a possible problem where a
key is used as a SEP but the flag is not set. This could be because the key was
created before the SEP flag was even defined (i.e. pre RFC3757) , or where a
key without the SEP flag has been configured as a trust anchor. I think it's OK to
assume that ONLY DS records are used as trust anchors in the absence of any special
publishing arrangement. So it's maybe not 100% clear cut, but I think with normal
operational practice ( delegation via DS records ), it's fine to sign the DNSKEY
RRset with just the SEP keys. I think the standard could be a bit stronger and say
that keys that are to be used as an SEP ( either by DS records or as configured trust
anchors ) MUST have the SEP bit set. But one can perhaps just put this in the
implementation's operating instructions instead.

George