[dns-operations] IANA testbed problem

Eric Osterweil eoster at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 8 15:52:17 UTC 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 8:40 AM, George Barwood wrote:

> The IANA testbed ( https://ns.iana.org/dnssec/status.html ) seems to
> respond incorrectly to queries for DS iana.org
>
> It should act as a (test) signed root, with one of the root servers
> being
>
> ns.iana.org.            3600    IN      A       208.77.188.32
>
> The response to
>
>> dig ds iana.org @208.77.188.32
>
> should ( I think) be a referral to the org servers, since the DS
> RRset is served by the parent zone.
> However, the actual response is an authoritative NoData response,
>
> iana.org.               3600    IN      SOA     dns1.icann.org.
> hostmaster.icann
>
> i.e. it is coming from the iana.org zone rather than the root zone.
>
> Am I being stupid, or is this a bug?

afaict, you seem to be right:

RFC 4035:
	2.4. Including DS RRs in a Zone
DS RRsets MUST NOT appear at a zone's apex
As for the referral:

RFC 4035:
	3.1.4.1. Responding to Queries for DS RRs
the name server MUST return an authoritative "no data" response
showing that the DS RRset does not exist in the child zone's apex.
Eric