[dns-operations] "freeware is a recipe for problems"

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Sep 24 19:12:57 UTC 2009

>> > Maybe they are right. Perhaps it is better to not know what is lurking
>> > within a proprietary OS.
>>
>> But that ship has sailed.  How many ISPs still run their DNS servers
>> on operating systems for which source code is not widely available?
>
> I believe there are plenty of DNS servers running on Solaris (yes,
> I know about OpenSolaris...)

Solaris source code has been widely distributed even before
OpenSolaris.  Many universities had access.  (This was also true for
the Windows source code even before "Shared Source", back in the
Windows NT days.)

Proprietary operating systems with secret source code are a myth.
They are certainly restricted to niche markets.  Most vendors are
willing to share if you can demonstrate a need.  Free vs proprietary
software is not about source code availability, but about licensing.

But this is getting more and more off-topic.