[dns-operations] *.cn A wildcard

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Thu Oct 29 12:35:29 UTC 2009

* Chris Thompson:

> The rule seems to be that the second level component has to start "xn--"
> for wildcard expansion to occur. Valid Punycode after that is not required.

Interesting.  Does anybody know what the web page served under those
name does?

Verisign used to do something similar to bootstrap their RACE-based
IDN testbed a couple of years ago.  You got a synthesized A record for
every domain name which contained a non-ASCII octet, and that web page
served an ActiveX control which installed a RACE helper in Internet
Explorer.  But my memory is a bit foggy. 8-/

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99