[dns-operations] GSLB options?

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Wed Oct 28 19:55:14 UTC 2009

$Work is using GSLB for load balancing and redundancy between our pops for
our websites[1].

I've looking at options for being GSLB inhouse to give us more
flexibility (I have to ring up our current provide to make any changes)
and save money.

Looking around I only found one(!) provider (ultradns) that provides this
as a service and they couldn't do a few of my requirements (and their cost
was a bit high).

The various appliance options are probably out of my budget too (
especially after I buy 3+ and host them in various places ).

I was wondering what people's experiences are with the software options
and if they can recommend any? My main requirements are:

* Balance multiple IPs within a "region"
* Easy to change ratios between those IPs
* Hand out CNAMES and A records.
* Health checks
* Geographic affinity
* Ability to create own regions ( eg split New Zealand into two ).
* Pretty interface
* Runs on standard RHEL/Centos 5.

Right now I'm looking at pgeodns ( http://geo.bitnames.com ) which is a
little minimal but will do the DNS bit of the job at least. The other
main  options appear to be Powerdns and I've heard a rumor about a Bind
plugin (although I can't find the link right now).

Has anyone any experience with the above or can recommend (for or against)
other options?

[1] - Yes, I know GSLB doesn't work, I've read all those documents, this
is not the thread you are looking for :)

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.