[dns-operations] SE and the value of having NS in more than one TLD

Ondřej Surý ondrej.sury at nic.cz
Thu Oct 15 19:19:25 UTC 2009

On 13.10.2009 00:31, Doug Barton wrote:
> Right now SE has as super-small packet size for an NS query (183) so
> they certainly have room to add a server or two in another TLD, which
> would have saved them from going off line today for a lot of the 'net.

How would that helped?  Well, it wouldn't.  The chance that you mess
part of a RRset and rest of it will be OK is very small.

Well I thinkg, it's more dangerous for a TLD to have its NSs in
different TLD since you are more prone to mistakes made by other people,
and if you choose badly, your TLD can even be hijacked (at least on that
particular NS).

Ondrej
--
  Ondřej Surý