[dns-operations] A interesting result to a AAAA query

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Tue Nov 17 16:35:14 UTC 2009

> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;toggle.www.ms.akadns.net.	IN	AAAA
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> toggle.www.ms.akadns.net. 300	IN	CNAME	g.www.ms.akadns.net.
> g.www.ms.akadns.net.	300	IN	CNAME	lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.
> lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	300	IN	A	207.46.19.190
> lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	300	IN	A	64.4.31.252
> lb1.www.ms.akadns.net.	300	IN	A	207.46.19.254

as i told avi freedman in the early days of akamai, "dns takes more code
than that."  :-).

this kind of thing isn't specific to akamai.  lots of load balancers and NAT
boxes and firewalls and SOHO gateways do similar stuff.  we're coming to the
point where IPv6 deployment finally has enough momentum that there's going to
be widespread gnashing of teeth at this kind of AAAA mistreatment.  i hope
that when akamai fixes this they also write a tech report on it and talk to
"el reg" and other I.T. trade rags about the importance of doing AAAA right.