[dns-operations] Weird answers from ns79/ns80.worldnic.com nameservers

_ _ cf_0x2102 at hotmail.com
Fri May 8 00:24:17 UTC 2009

I searched a bit through the archives (albeit using google) and didn't see anything already discussed that matches what I am seeing.  In a nutshell, there is a domain in question, that once the delegation gets to ns79/ns80.worldnic.com, I get a SERVFAIL *and* the 'correct' result.  The result from there is a spaghetti of CNAMES (hostingprod.com / yahoo / etc) but it does 'work'.  Also, if the query to ns79/ns80 have recursion desired turned off, they *sometimes* return the root servers as 'additional'.  This exceeds 512 bytes, so TCP kicks in (to top it all off, ns79/ns80 don't seem to want to talk EDNS).  I've ran this from multiple places, using dig, letting the OS resolve it, running sniffers, you name it.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this ?  What could cause the server to burp out the root's info right in the middle ?  Should we be contacting Network Solutions about this ?  If so - anyone from there want to contact me off-list ?

Not to be dramatic by listing it last :)  But the domain in question is: (www.)makechangetogether.org

Thanks in advance for any insights.