[dns-operations] Vista implements a bizarre DNS server selection algorithm from RFC4384?

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Thu Mar 5 11:26:28 UTC 2009

* Roland Dobbins:

> Is anyone else seeing the described behavior?
>
> <http://drplokta.livejournal.com/109267.html>

Yes, Vista isn't the first to implement this.

There's an ongoing discussion on the IETF general mailing list and the
namedroppers mailing list.  I don't think it makes sense to open a
second thread over here.

> I'm at a loss to understand the thinking behind this algorithm.

There was a time when you were expected to get IPv6 addresses through
a hierarchical addressing scheme.  RFC 2374 documents that approach.
RFC 3484's Rule 9 makes sense in that context.

Of course, it was very bad engineering to apply the same rule to IPv4,
where addressing was anything but hierarchical when RFC 3484 was
written.

The IETF is structurally incapable of updating the specification,
especially for IPv4.  It is considered out of scope for the DNS WGs,
and the IPv6 WGs don't care much about IPv4.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99