[dns-operations] NS records pointing to names with CNAME records

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 25 19:48:50 UTC 2009

On Jun 25 2009, George Barwood wrote:

>This means a "robust" name server should follow CNAME chains, and indeed
>this is very common, you cannot resolve www.google.com without lots of this.

Really? I see only a single CNAME www.google.com => www.l.google.com which
has (four) address records.

Not that I am arguing against the necessity to follow CNAME chains in general.

>Whether there are any current resolvers that don't follow CNAMES when
>resolving name server names to A/AAAA records seems to be an open question.

In a message to some of our college COs today, I referred to CNAME chains as
"(slightly) deprecated". It's time out of mind since anyone reported them
not working (if reasonably short).

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,