[dns-operations] NS records pointing to names with CNAME records

Matthew Dempsky matthew at dempsky.org
Wed Jun 24 21:56:13 UTC 2009

Does anyone have any knowledge of how well currently deployed DNS
caches handle NS records pointing to names with CNAME records?  I know
the relevant RFCs warn that zones should not be configured this way
because older caches may have problems with them, but they also warn
against CNAME chains (which are commonly used), and looking at my
DNSTrust logs, I discovered a handful of zones configured this way,
including one ccTLD (.mm).