[dns-operations] will germany therefore make dnssec illegal on their shores?

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Fri Jun 19 12:32:30 UTC 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:52 PM, Otmar Lendl wrote:

> * This is more about political grandstanding ("we're doing something
> about child-porn on the Internet") than anything else.

Given that there are no significant voter blocs or powerful special
interest groups within Germany agitating in favor of this sort of
thing, it appears to be more about achieving control over political
discourse on the Internet.

'Protecting the children', 'combatting political/religious
extremism' (with the definition of 'extremism' left for the
bureaucrats to decide for themselves), 'disrupting terrorist
plots' (ditto for the definition of 'terrorist'), and so forth are
simply bandied about as justifications, much as with similar
situations in China and Australia.

         Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

		   -- Kevin Lawton